The first meeting of Okeford Fitzpaine Parish Council took place on January 1st 1895. This was the inaugural meeting and the only items of business dealt with were the election of officers and the clerk’s salary. The first chairman was the Rev’d J H Philips supported by councillors Tizzard, Loder, Wallis, Herrington, Bracher, Mallet and Phillips. The first clerk was G W Rose with a salary of £15. At that time there was also a treasurer who was F G Symonds the manager of the Dorsetshire Bank, Sturminster Newton. The second meeting followed on January 15th 1895 when it was proposed to look at a water supply for the village and the expense of such a scheme.
In the succeeding years there have been many parish clerks and many councillors who have initiated and completed projects like the purchase of the Recreation Ground in 1966 and in more recent times Bowey Field and also oversee the day to day running of the council.
A much needed extension to the Pavilion at the recreation ground and play equipment at Bowey Field were completed in the mid 90’s and other projects have included refurbishment of The Cross area and The Pound.
The present council is comprised of 7 councillors supported by a clerk.
Councillors give their time freely to represent the parish on all matters including planning and a wide range of other services. The only person to receive remuneration is the clerk.
The parish council meets at least monthly in the Pavilion at the Recreation Ground, Castle Lane usually on a Tuesday at 7-30pm. The dates are advertised on the village notice boards at Okeford Fitzpaine, Belchalwell, Fiddleford and the website along with the agenda and minutes of the previous meeting.
All meetings are open to members of the public and press as observers and part of the meeting is set aside for members of the public to ask questions, put forward their points of view and ideas or suggest areas that need the parish council’s attention
Contact the clerk by email email@example.com